Importing International & Unique Building Materials
Borne out of a desire to lower the costs of authentic finishes, Mangum went over land and sea. Across 3 continents, Mangum brought back something special. Items you can’t get anywhere else.
When Mangum says they can build a custom home or develop a commercial office building that is truly custom, we mean one of a kind and unlike anything else out there. The kind of products we supply don’t come off an assembly line. They are hand carved, handmade, and handpicked.
If you’re going to invest your time and money in something special, let’s do it right. This is the real deal. It ishand carved and handmade. It’s available only through Mangum. And it’s not as expensive as it looks. Contact Mangum at 919.422.2126 to see what we can do for your custom home or commercial development project.
Frequently Asked Questions About Mangum Import
- This looks really expensive. How can you say that it’s in my budget?
Mangum spent five years working out the logistics of importing products to the States. Our intellectual property of knowing how to do it is very valuable and we leverage this to offer a competitive advantage. The cost advantage, however, evolved from cutting out several intermediaries that would otherwise have facilitated these transactions at a profit through a process call vertical integration.
- How do I pick out materials that are located halfway around the world?
We solved this hurdle through “high-resolution” logistics that allow you to see the product and feel the material. We communicate with our team overseas, which sometimes means later or earlier hours depending on the country.
- What if I see something in a magazine that I like? Can you make that?
Absolutely. Give us a picture and two measurements, and we can deliver a unique product.
- How long does it take to get materials from wherever you get them?
Once the factories cut, carve, and polish your products, it generally takes 4-6 weeks depending on the port of origin it is coming from. If it is shipping out of Shanghai, however, it may take much longer.
- What happens if something breaks during shipment? Who is responsible?
We are responsible for any damages that occur.
- Why don’t more general contractors do what you’re doing?
Time and initiative. You’ve got to know your way around a computer, and be willing to humble yourself to learn other languages, other alphabets, other cultures. To work with factories means to work with people. To do that means you must connect with others and learn their culture, learn their ways. Understand them. And to do that means to travel to their factory, drink tea with them, eat what they eat, and respect them. It takes a lot of time and investment, but for Mangum Design-Build, it was worth it to be able to offer our clients the absolute best materials at affordable prices.
An Understanding of Building Material Costs as Related to Logistics
In order to understand how materials get from the factory or forest to the home or office, you’ve got to understand logistics. A great example is how oak trees travel from the forest to your living room floor, and who handles them along the way.
- First, the oak tree is provided by a tree farmer to a saw mill.
- The saw mill cuts and treats the wood.
- The saw mill sells the wood to a wholesale provider at a reasonable profit.
- The wholesale provider sells the wood to a distributor, probably a big home improvement chain.
- The distributor sells the wood once more to a contractor or builder.
- The builder uses the supplies in a job, selling it to his client.
- The factory sells direct to Mangum Design-Build, and they sell it to you.
There is a lot more to it than this, but you can see that the distribution model is truncated, and less people are involved. This works well with niche markets such as the products we import, but in other areas of construction materials, specifically, commodity items like 2×4’s and roofing shingles, the traditional method is better for a variety of reasons that Mangum can discuss in detail in person.
Founded by Kevin Mangum, Mangum Design-Build has experience in medical office buildings, warehouse development and construction. We are also an C-Level custom home builder. We have office locations in Raleigh, NC; Morrisville, NC; Clayton, NC; Wilmington, NC; Myrtle Beach, SC & Xiamen City, Fujian Province, China.